Sunday, June 07, 2015

OELP Reflections (Yue San)

OELP Reflections:

1) I decided to come along to this trip because it would be an exciting experience, and would let us learn more about China’s culture, which is extremely crucial in this modern age as China is rapidly becoming an expanding country in the global market. This information would be beneficial in the working world to be able to converse with ease with China’s people, as gaining a greater understanding on their society would help greatly. Also, going to Hangzhou will be a real life experience of what it is to live in China, which is completely different from Singapore.

I hope to enjoy myself with my friends at China. Hangzhou is also renowned as a historical area in China, and I would like to understand more about the history of China, as more knowledge is never wasted. Secondly, I hope to pick up some of China’s culture and reapply it if I ever return back to China on a later date. I also hope to learn some of the skills that people in China might be teaching us, like picking tea leaves, drumming, etc. It will be an extremely interesting learning experience as Singapore does not carry out such activities due to many limitations in our country and society. Most importantly, I hope to learn as much as I can from this Hangzhou immersion trip.

2) It was in the Hai Di Lao Hotpot Restaurant when I came across one situation that made me feel strongly about. Chefs were doing a live demonstration of making lamian, when one of them accidentally dropped the dough, rendering it useless. Another staff of Hai Di Lao came towards the chef with a smile, picked up the dough, and gave the chef another one. I was impressed by their attitude, as neither did they blame the chef for making a mistake, they actually gave the chef another chance to rectify it.

One person that taught me more than what could be achieved in class was the mother of the buddy, whose house I went to. She gave her all to making us feel at home anywhere we went, from bringing us to museums cheerfully to catering to our every need, regardless of whether it inconvenienced her. People might say that she was just a good host but she was much more than that to me. She was the epitome of what it meant to face life with a smile, and take it on without complain.

I learnt that China’s people were not the heartless people that I thought they were from all the newspaper reports of food-related scams and more, but actually very friendly people who would aid you in whatever way they could if you had an issue to solve.

3) This trip would affect my future attitude towards China’s people greatly, as I understand their culture and society much more now after this immersion trip. It taught me to not judge a book by its cover, reserve judgment first, and see the full truth for myself. It also taught me that in facing life’s challenges, doing it without complain and with a smile was crucial to solving them, instead of running away from the problem.



I hope that I will learn to empathize with people more, as I saw the Chinese did it with all their heart and soul. I want to understand the Chinese in China more, as I have had a taste of their culture and I want more of it. I learnt many things from this trip, but the most important part of it is to still face everything that comes along your way with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment